Sunday, June 19, 2011

Week #3 - Response to Kathleen Stalnaker

Week 3 Reading: The Art of Possibility Chapters 5-8
Friday, June 17, 2011
Do what you love, love what you do!
 
Chapter 5, Leading from Any Chair, really struck some chords with me. When Zander asked, “How much greatness are we willing to grant?” I really thought about how that applies to the classroom. When you allow students the opportunity to shine they generally do. Give them the chance to show what they know and help support them in their learning and they can do wonders. I know I have mentioned the iPads my district is getting for all students in grades 7-12 before, and here I am mentioning it again. But I think our iPad initiative speaks to this question. Today I spent my day listening to Apple reps and teachers who use 1 to 1 programs in their districts as well as using podcasting to teach and reinforce lessons and what they were saying and demonstrating really gelled with the reading. It might sometimes be scary to grant that greatness because it puts more of the control in the hands of the students and less in the hands of the teachers, but in the long run I think it really is a better way of doing business. And we do this by listening, as Zander suggests, for passion and commitment. 

I found the Rule of Number Six really fascinating partly because it reminded me of when I was student teaching (eons ago). The Rule of Number Six tells us not to take ourselves so seriously and when my supervising teacher evaluated me for my professor he talked about how I had a great sense of humor and didn’t take myself too seriously. He illustrated this pointing out a particularly tough day with the kids, when by the end of the hour I’d run my hand through my hair, which left it standing on end in an unintentional way...and I just carried on...looking bedraggled but determined to get things right.

Another thing that really stuck with me from the reading has do with approaching what you do with passion. I truly believe that if you are passionate about what you do in the classroom the students will be too.

Karen Gearns
Kathleen,  It will be interesting to see what exciting things come from giving students more control over their learning with the iPad project.  It reminds me of Randy Pausch’s last lecture when he calls his mentor because his students had just blown him away on their first project that he had no idea where to go from there.   Giving students more ownership of their work will allow them to set the bar at heights we never dreamed they would reach.   For so long there has been talk of teaching moving from the sage on the stage to the guide on the side.  Tools like an iPad for every student can make that more of a reality than ever.  I think it is an exciting time to be in the classroom.
Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 06:37 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment