Saturday, June 11, 2011

Week #2 - Response to Kathleen Stalnaker

Week 2 Reading: The Art of Possibility Chapters 1-4
Friday, June 10, 2011
The Zander’s and The Art of Possiblity
 
I was given a copy of this book several years ago while working with the Perpich Center For Arts Education in Golden Valley Minnesota on arts standards and assessments. One of the leaders of the program said the book reminded her of me. I didn’t read the book immediately, but Pam’s comment has remained with me. I have started the book several times, but other things always seem to take center stage and I don’t get very far. 

So what is my point? As I am reading the book...and not putting aside for other activities I guess I can see where Pam is coming from. I am not an art teacher, music teacher, dance teacher, etc. I teach English and I was invited to participate in the creation of arts standards and assessments in Minnesota from the Literary Artists viewpoint. I approach reading from a writer’s viewpoint and writing from a reader’s viewpoint. I see the possibility in every student. I see the possibility in everyone. I see the possibility in every situation I am in.  I like the way the authors frame the practice behind the premise of Chapter 1 - ‘It’s All Invented’ The suggest we ask ourselves these questions:  “What assumption am I making, that I am not aware I’m making, that gives me what I see?” and “What might I invent, that I haven’t invented yet, that would give me other choices?” (Zander and Zander p. 15). It is important to always see that there is possibility even if you don’t have all the tools you need because you can connect all the dots even if you are one line short.

This book presents such an optimistic way to look at life and being successful in it. In chapter two ‘Stepping into a Universe of Possibility’ we are asked to consider “How are my thoughts and actions, in this moment, reflections of the measurement world?” Which encourages us to consider answer the question “How are you?” with the word, ‘perfect’.

Chapter three titled ‘Giving and A’ made me think about how much I believe that school should be about learning and that sometimes grades get in the way of student learning. Setting goals and seeing them through are valuable steps learning.  

Chapter four titled ‘Being a Contribution’ encourages us to give what we can, time, money, talents. This attitude of contribution is infectious and will encourage others to do the same.
1 Comment Manage Comments for this Entry

Karen Gearns
Kathleen,

It’s interesting that this book keeps coming into your life.   Apparently you are meant to read it.  It will be interesting to see what you glean from it when you have finished. 

I agree with your comments about the importance of seeing possibility.  My students have great apathy for school.  I think it is because they come from such a small world they are not able to see the possibilities available to them.  I agree that school should be about facilitating an environment that encourages the love of learning.  I have many students who just want to know what they need to do to pass my class.  The bare minimum is their goal.  It would be interesting to see if there was no bare minimum what they would accomplish. 

In some ways I think technology has put more emphasis on grades.  With grades available on-line 24/7 more parents and students are focused on grades.  I just had a conversation with a colleague last night who’s administrator continually checks her on-line grades and tells her if she is not recording enough grades or entering grades quickly enough.  She is an English teacher who sees 150+ students per day.  Giving an A would definitely take a lot of pressure off both students and teacher.  Obviously there needs to be some assessment and feedback but it would be interesting to see where students writing goes if they all received an A.
Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 10:22 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment